Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Day Devoted to Love

Happy Valentine's Day EVERYONE!!!

For those of you who are wallowing on what you're calling "Single Awareness Day," please note that I know where you are coming from! I called this fabulous day by that sad name for years,  I have even gotten hate notes in my locker. I really should have an astonishing hate for this holiday, however, please try to see it in new light like I was forced to about two years ago!

Two years and one week ago, my ex-boyfriend broke up with me. Yep, you did the math correctly. ONE WEEK before Valentine's Day. It was awful! I kept spontaneously combusting into tears! However, as Valentine's Day approached I decided to make the best out of this day and take the time to show love and gratitude for those who helped me get through that hard time. I made Valentine's for all of them! They were all surprised and I realized how sad it is that people stop giving valentines to their friends after grade school. I made a goal to make the best out of Valentine's Day. That year brought the best holiday of love! My roommate, who just broke up with her boyfriend too, and I met up with two of our single guy friends and went out for a night on the town... In happy valley. We went dancing, we had pizza, and we watched a movie in a BYU classroom. It was not a date, everything was Dutch, but it was an absolute blast!

I understand that this is hard to recreate every Valentine's Day, but that's not my point. The point is that I changed my attitude and it changed my day! Last year wasn't the best holiday, but I still bought valentines to show my friends and family how much I love them. Seeing them smile, even though many of them were single like me, made the day!

That is what Valentine's Day is all about!

I have never had a valentine until this year and he is my fiancé, my best friend, my partner in crime, the love of my life, and he is mine for eternity. I'm grateful that I've always been single, not alone, on this day because now it's even more special as we ate pizza and brownies that we made from scratch, drank A&W Draft Root Beer, had a T-Rex and a Raptor as our centerpieces, and enjoyed it all by candlelight.

Remember to dance in the rain!

P.S. I still gave out valentines this year even though I have a valentine... And I get to eat the left overs! ;)

No comments: