Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Haven't Had Enough

I work [practically] full time, go to school full time, am in a LDS sorority, have homework, and still find time to be social... Have I had enough?

Nope.

I am on the University of Utah Ballroom Dance Team. Yes, we have one. Is it recognized by the school? Not yet, but we're working on that. Thus I pay to be on it and it isn't cheap... but it's worth it! :) I am making scarves and headbands to make up the difference in income and expenses.

The ballroom dance team consists of three teams, the Black Team, the Red Team, and the White Team. (Yes, they are the school's colors, original eh? ;) haha) I am on the White Team and I absolutely love it. People have come and gone from it and we have done a lot of switching around with partners and such, but I think it has made us an even stronger team. We've hung out after practices, played practical jokes on each other, arranged socials, and I even miss them if I have to go more than a week without seeing them. We have way to much fun together!!!

We've performed twice now. Once at Rock the U and another at a LDS Stake's annual formal dance. It was a blast and a huge learning experience. We perform again on Monday, April 18. I'm so excited! The White Team did a Rumba routine and now we are learning a Waltz routine! The Waltz is my very, very favorite style of dance! I do love Country/Freestyle Swing a ton, but the Waltz is just so elegant and beautiful. Freestyle Swing takes the best of all the dances and puts them together, thus throwing footwork out the window. It must do this because there is no way of combining all the dances and keep the footwork! It's just fun to let go sometimes! hehe.


There are so many wonderful people on this team, including some people whom I've known before. I went to high school with two girls, Audrey and Kirsten. Kirsten and I actually grew up in the same stake as well! Two guys I met through the IOTA frat, Griffin and Thom. Grif joined with my referral... well he actually could've done it himself, he's that good, but he found out about it through me. I'm so glad I decided to take the Ballroom Dance class for my extra two credit hours, it changed my life. I've made a ton of new friends as well, Paul-who almost dropped me, Dianna-lovingly nicknamed Dance Nazi, Brown-headed Marc, Red-headed Marc, Elizabeth-my official eyelash-putter-oner, Jen-whom I've almost collided with multiple times, Molly-our mother hen, Aaron-who likes to switch between teams, Greg-we are awesome at the Titanic, and other wonderful friends whom I will write about later. There will be more adventures to come, trust me.


I'm following my dream. I've always wanted to be on a ballroom dance team and I'm doing it. It's the first time that I've actually done something that doesn't sound completely respectable and safe. Not that being a teacher is lame or anything. I really want to be a teacher, that is one dream I have always had, but it's not far fetched like being a pop star. haha One thing I've learned, when there's a will there's a way, and sometimes we've got to get out of our own way and simply take a leap of faith. Don't be afraid, you can do hard things. ;)

No comments: