Saturday, June 9, 2012

That's Really Me

I was looking at pictures of me and my friends or family and reminisced about all of the happy memories associated with them when I suddenly realized,

that's really me. 

I suppose I've grow up knowing what I look like in pictures and in the mirror, but how often do I actually have a sense of who I am and what I look like during the 99% of the day when I am not looking in the mirror. I have somewhat recently discovered that I forget how I look as I'm going throughout my day. I forget I'm not wearing make-up or my latest shopping purchase. I am me, Aubrey, through it all. Sure, some days I feel off. Although, it's not because I actually look "ugly," but it really stems from who I feel like. My friend actually named my insecure self as a way of secretly communicating that I'm not being who I really am. If you were hoping that I'd disclose the name of this "other" me, I'm afraid you will be disappointed. It's called secret communication for a reason. ;)

Something I have discovered about myself is that I'm at my best when I'm around children, followed closely by when I'm dancing. Children are the most wonderful thing in the entire world and I love them. I tend to have more patience with children than I have with my friends... or anyone for that matter. Nothing makes a day better than the love of a child! I went to the zoo recently and I found myself watching the children more than the animals. Their reactions to the creatures around them was so entertaining and pure that I was mesmerized with joy. The kindergartners I assisted in teaching this past year graduated a week ago today. I am so proud of them and I love and miss them terribly! Seeing the kids at the zoo eased the pain for a while. Although, I'm afraid that I will never get my kid fix. It's an addiction I never want to break.

The Spark
By Aubrey Nance

In a world that is so dull and dark.
There is, in fact, a little spark.
A spark to make the day less gray.
It tends to blow the blues away.
This spark ignites no tiny flame.
You may ask, "what is its name?
"This thing so pure at heart.
"The muse of so much art.
"An inferno you should never tame.
"Whose wielder would need no fame.
"A glorious thing more valuable than gold.
"You know its name, or so I'm told."
My next remark would gild the lily.
"It's the love of a child, silly."


2 comments:

Anthony said...

Sometimes I do the same thing when looking at pictures and thinking back on memories and just going "geez... that's ME..." and you hit it right on the nail. It often has to do with how I FEEL I am over how I might actually look or behave or anything. Interesting concept...
"Their reactions to the creatures around them was so entertaining and pure that I was mesmerized with joy." I don't think I could agree more. Earlier this year I made a very close friend (or so I thought at the time) who eventually drifted away and one of the things they tended to not understand about me is my affection for kids and things that remind me of when i was a kid. Children, for the most part, see things through the absolute least calloused or altered eyes of anyone on our planet. Not only is that something to be treasured and respected, but I kinda feel like it's something we should strive for ourselves.
This actually ties into what you said in the first half of this post too. You're YOU through and through- but overtime we sorta learn to bury things we're insecure about and not be ourselves. Kids- for the most part if they've not been distorted through whatever elements they're exposed to -tend to just be pure little packets of personality. They are who they are. I am trying to be that a lot more lately. Thought provoking as always.

aubrey said...

I'm glad I could provoke thought! You got what I was trying to say and put it so elegantly as a comment!