Saturday, October 22, 2011

My Best Friend

This past Wednesday I found out my best friend was coming home from her mission early due to illness. I will not be going into detail about what she has because I believe that is personal. However, I will talk about her and what a strength she has been to me throughout my life.


Allie and I originally met in 7th grade... I don't remember how or exactly when, but I remember her being a part of my life throughout Jr. High. Apparently she had a bit of an attitude and liked to tease people. I say "apparently" because she was always super kind to me even though I was the one person EVERYONE seemed to enjoy teasing. I was an odd ball and I had a pretty big crush on a certain boy and I didn't know how to go about liking him... he was the wrong person to like because he enjoyed teasing me behind my back as well. Anyway, said boy was friends with Allie and he and all his friends joined in teasing me... however! Allie always stood up for me. I once asked her why and she told me it was because I was always so kind to everyone and many of the people who teased me didn't even know me. Allie even tried to deter me from liking the one stupid guy, I sadly ignored her and things got worse in 9th grade until I stopped liking him - a story for another time.


Allie and I lived in the same LDS Stake and our Young Women's groups would play each other in basketball tournaments. I loved playing her team because we both would get super aggressive and would occasionally hurt each other because we knew the other could take it (we once gave each other bloody lips). I believe that this is where our friendship first began to blossom and laid the groundwork for later conversations and support.


Allie and I continued our light friendship until the second semester of our senior year when we had British Literature together and also sat next to each other. I loved that class, but especially so since I had it with her. We began talking a whole lot and she would give me some of her snacks... our class was right before lunch and I was always starving. We began planning for our first year of college at Salt Lake Community College, where we were both planning on attending, and carpooling arrangements and other fun college stuff. All around this time period, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and I was super weak and tired. Allie was always there for me and helped me through that very difficult time.


Then came Summer!!! Allie and I continued to spend a lot of time together especially since our wards were combining for girls camp and we were both the eldest girls so we got to do devotionals and stuff. Needless to say, we spent a lot of time together. THEN our stake organized a singles ward and we were forced to attend since we were bother 18.. I had been 18 for 5 days at the time. We were wing women and went to everything together! Our ward even thought we were sisters.


When college began we carpooled, attended institute together, joined an LDS sorority together (ZETA), went to church together, and hung out every moment possible. My family practically adopted her and her's adopted me. The stories get really long winded now, so I will summarize! We served on South City Institute's Institute Council, ZETA officers, ward committees, etc. You couldn't separate us! Where ever I was, she wasn't far behind, and vice versa.


In my Sophomore year of school I began to attend the Redwood Campus instead of South City and Allie and I started spending less time at school together. We still spent the time on the weekend together along with sorority stuff. She was there for me when I had family troubles, she kept me on track with the boys I dated, she was chief interviewer for my prospects. She read me like a book. She knew when I was upset, mad, frustrated, or down on myself.

Allie started prepping for her mission during the beginning of my Junior year of school and I was attending the University of Utah so we saw less and less of each other. I know God had a hand in our slow separation from each other so when she left for Nashville Tennessee, it wasn't as hard. I admit, I wasn't super excited about her leaving me, but I also knew that it was the right thing for her to do. I love her and wanted what's best for her. Thus, I wrote her. I updated her on all my boys and she was absolutely full of good advice. Then... she started getting sick, but was pulling through like a trooper. I didn't expect anything less since she ran a marathon with mono... yep, MONO!

Allie's dad died a couple of years ago and NO ONE COULD TELL unless I told them (she wasn't about to). She is like Giselle from "Enchanted." If you don't love her, then you're weird. Just sayin'. She has been huge support to me! I love her so much!


Well I got to see her for the first time on Saturday and she was visibly skinnier... she didn't have room to lose weight! She was slow moving... she was always a runner and often would run into my arms. She spoke with a level tone... unlike her usual excited cartoonish voice. She was sick, and I recognized that my role has changed, I'm now here for her. I probably know more about what she's going through over any of her of other friends.


Allie is the most magnificent woman I have ever met and she will be my best friend forever. She will always be there for me and I for her.


Get well soon Allie,
I love you!

1 comment:

Allie Patricia said...

Aubrey you are amazing! I never thought I would have an entire blog post dedicated to me! Thanks so much for being such a supportive friend. I really am so grateful for you! Reading this made me happy and reminded me of the Love our heavenly father has for us! Thanks for letting me feel that :) Bff's :)