Friday, October 7, 2011

Things I've Learned @ the Grub

I've worked at the Cowboy Grub for about three months now... I know not that long... and I've learned quite a few things.

  • People have different managing styles and people like different managing styles.
  • I really don't like people who beat around the bush.
  • Visitors are the BEST!
  • Old people don't tip well.
  • Latinos are huge flirts!
  • If you're going to tell me to do something better, just tell me bluntly. Don't waste my time on a lecture that is keeping me away from my tables.
    • I'll just tune out and spend the time you take thinking how much you're bugging me. I won't remember what you wanted me to do.
  • Assume everyone is stupid (I knew this before, but it never ceases to amaze me how true it is.)
  • Some people and just downright determined to have a bad day and leave a bad tip. There is nothing you can do about it but be kind and put most of your attention that will tip you really well!
  • Some people will tip you well no matter what you do!
  • Some people can be persuaded to leave a really good tip.
  • I'm no good with old people, however, I shine when I serve people with kids!
  • When telling stories, be sure to preface it correctly, have a climax, and bring it home! (The preface is most important though.)
  • I LOVE being sassy!
  • Boys like to "gossip" too.
  • People are pigs!
  • Be uber thorough!
  • ALWAYS (or as often as possible) tell your table that you're going to school to be a teacher... especially if they have kids!
  • Pero is SO GOOD in hot chocolate!
  • Dancing when entering the server/kitchen area improves morale for yourself and coworkers. 
  • Don't do a booty shake in front of the cooks.
  • Avoid smashing your hand against the corner of a metal table. 
  • Khaki pants do not look good on ANYONE!
  • Spare pens is always a must!
  • Smile at EVERYONE!
  • Eat desert first.
  • Hot chocolate is my guilty pleasure.
  • Fresh peach pie is heaven on earth!
  • You make BANK when serving banquets and other parties!
  • It is possible to be too thorough.
  • Always enjoy your job, it makes it much easier to go to work!
  • If a table doesn't like you, don't stress out! You'll just get worse... besides, they'll be gone in a half hour anyway and you can try again with the table that replaces them!
  • Sometimes people just want to be left alone.
  • Don't stand in people's way!
  • Always put a positive spin on things!
  • Working weekend nights is no fun.
  • Carrying trays is HARD. I had no idea they were that heavy WITHOUT anything on them!
  • Avoid corners, barriers, walls, doors, and people as injury tends to occur when you run into them.
  • People are generally good.
  • Don't work with friends, become friends with people you work with.
  • Always look busy!
Ta Da! Feel free to comment and ask questions! Maybe I'll write about working as an assistant teacher next... hmmm. Intriguing! 

2 comments:

Kallie Olson said...

Haha If you keep Jordan's water full, he'll leave a really good tip! But it's hard to keep it full... Some have succeeded though! And in the case at Olive Garden and Texas Roadhouse, if you keep his water full AND always have bread sticks/rolls on the table, he'll leave a GREAT tip :)

aubrey said...

We don't have bread sticks or rolls for free at the Grub, but I can definitely keep his water full. I have my ways :)